Join Our Team
At a time when cities across the country are challenged to build positive relationships between residents and law enforcement, the significance, track record, and impact of PAL’s mission of “Cops Helping Kids” is more important than ever.
From time to time PAL has openings within our organization for motivated people seeking to make an impact on our society through our children.
Current Employment Opportunities:
To download the organizational profile and position description, please click here.
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Board Chair
Manages: Administration, Finance, Development and Programming
Position Type: Full Time
Office Location: Port Richmond Neighborhood
Overview of Responsibilities: In partnership with the Commanding Officer, and with oversight from the Board, s/he will work to reimagine PAL in a fast-changing world. The ED will help create and ensure execution of the vision, strategic direction, operations, fiscal and development policies necessary for the organization to continue to be a leader among youth-serving non-profits.
The ED leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public, and corporate sectors to fulfill PAL’s mission. The ED possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. S/He is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the organization – creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact. The ED is the steward of PAL’s brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation. S/he is responsible for building trust in PAL and its relevance in the community. S/he values network and strives to leverage PAL’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions
Resource Development: The ED is charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
The ED works in partnership with key staff and constituents, including PAL’s Commanding Officer, PAL’s Board Chair, Treasurer and Development Committee Chair to plan, organize, direct, execute and evaluate a comprehensive annual program of fundraising to include: individual major gifts, special events, corporate, foundation, and governmental solicitations, annual and planned giving.
The ED will have a proven track record of acquiring, managing and developing donor relationships. S/he should possess a working knowledge of PAL’s Customer Relations Management System (Raisers Edge/Blackbaud), the ability to generate reports, analyze and capture donor/prospect giving habits and history. The ED is charged to promote a culture of fundraising in both staff and board levels. ED will report actions, progress and results directly to the board’s Development Committee leadership on a quarterly basis.
Strategic Management: The ED serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. S/he partners with the Commanding Officer, Board of Directors and the senior leadership team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies that are timely, measurable and achievable. S/he ensures coordination and alignment of all PAL activities to strategic direction in the areas of administration, programming, resource development, fundraising, and staff alignment.
Organization Management: The ED is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. S/he maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The ED assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly manages senior leadership positions and establishes individual goals; works with the Director of Finance & Administration to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks; and ensures that goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are achieved.
The ED work in partnership with key staff and board committees to ensure PAL facilities (centers and headquarters) are well maintained (clean, safe, bright and welcoming), with adequate technologies and amenities.
In collaboration with PAL’s Commanding Officer, Board Chair and Treasurer, the ED establishes and implements PAL’s short and long-term financial and programmatic goals
Operations and Strategic Growth: The ED is responsible for providing an environment in which all full-time civilian staff work as a team with each other and with the PAL Police Unit toward achieving PAL’s mission and organizational goals while creating a positive message about PAL in the community. In so doing, the ED will:
• Work with appropriate Board committees and staff to execute marketing, finance, and program initiatives.
• Prepare, manage and update PAL’s Operating and Capital Budgets.
• Serve as liaison to the Board of Directors and Board committees.
• Support the Board of Directors and work with the Commanding Officer in the development and implementation of the strategic plan, program development, PAL corporate image and branding, and market position of PAL.
• Oversee and manage all civilian staff, setting a positive and cooperative tone for the direction of the organization and its interaction with all PAL departments, the PAL Police Unit, Board, committee members, donors and volunteers.
• In partnership with the Director of Programs and Education, plan and implement out-of-school programs and evaluative measures to maximize PAL’s impact and the contributions given to PAL.
• Serve, in partnership with the Commanding Officer and Board Chair, as the public face of PAL in the community through a variety of community events, as well as in the media and social media.
• Evaluate, oversee and manage all communications and public relations.
• Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to PAL’s mission to create genuine buy-in to help drive performance and professional motivations.
• Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator: Understands the diverse roles and contributions of all PAL stakeholders and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
• Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
• Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
• Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
• Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
• Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization
A passion for the organization’s mission of service to a diverse community. An innovative, flexible and effective leadership style. High energy and the ability to motivate lead and inspire Board, staff and external constituents and stakeholders. Experience in non-profit management is preferred; with experience in government or business management a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree and/or non-profit management certificate desirable.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience with a work history evidencing leadership, imagination and initiative in creatively moving an organization through change and growth.
• Finance, operations, fundraising, and human resources knowledge and experience in managing a team and leading day-to-day operations of an organization or large division.
• A working knowledge of best practices in youth-serving non-profit management.
• Experience with local, state, federal and private sources of funding is critical.
• Good working knowledge of marketing, advertising, PSAs and public relations strategies, including direct mail, and online/social media for promotions and brand visibility.
• A “hands-on” management philosophy and ability to embrace multiple roles and responsibilities during peak activity periods is essential.
• Sensitivity to the needs of children and families from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds.
• Ability to effectively manage and communicate with multiple constituencies
• Able to lead in a participatory manner.
• Consensus builder
• Politically aware and adept at navigating city government
• Excellent written, verbal and listening skills.
PAL is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran, marital, or any other status protected by law. PAL is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of under-represented and disadvantaged communities and groups.
We offer a competitive salary and outstanding benefit package including health/dental/vision, 403(b) retirement plans, and PTO vacation. To apply for the position, please e-mail a resume, a cover letter and the names of three references (References will NOT be contacted without your permission) to jobs@PhillyPAL.org.
get to know the organization and make a difference
” button_url=”/volunteer” url_new_window=”off” button_text=”learn more” use_background_color=”on” background_color=”#26294a” background_layout=”dark” text_orientation=”center” header_font_size=”26″ body_font_size=”14″ use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” custom_button=”off” button_text_size=”20″ button_border_width=”2″ button_border_radius=”3″ button_letter_spacing=”0″ button_use_icon=”default” button_icon_placement=”right” button_on_hover=”on” button_border_radius_hover=”3″ button_letter_spacing_hover=”0″ module_class=”hide”]
get to know the organization and make a difference