Join Our Team
At a time when cities across the country are challenged to build positive relationships between residents and law enforcement, the significance, track record, and impact of PAL’s mission of “Cops Helping Kids” is more important than ever.
From time to time PAL has openings within our organization for motivated people seeking to make an impact on our society through our children.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Context: This is an exciting opportunity for a development professional to join one of Philadelphia’s bedrock youth-serving organizations. The Police Athletic League of Philadelphia (PAL) is unlike any non-profit organization in the region, in that it brings a unit of the Philadelphia Police Department and a non-profit organization together with a shared mission of Cops Helping Kids.
Established in 1947, PAL has become part of the fabric of Philadelphia, with tens-of-thousands of children benefitting from the mentorship, guidance and coaching of specially trained Philadelphia police officers through an array of year-round fun, safe, and free programming.
In addition to supportive police and civilian staff, PAL enjoys a passionate and engaged Board of Directors.
Position Description: The Grants Manager develops and execute strategies to diversify and strengthen the organization’s funding streams from corporate, foundation and government funding sources.
Specific Position Accountabilities:
- Manage a calendar of grant report and proposal dates; track an active portfolio of pending and committed grants
- Research and identify new grant funding prospects
- Write grant proposals for new and existing programs/projects
- Acknowledge and steward relationships with grant contacts
- Schedule and coordinate site visits with potential and actual donors
- Ensure compliance with all grant contracts/agreements/outcomes/deliverables
- Write required and courtesy grant reports
- Create organization and development materials for inclusion in proposal submissions
- Collaborate with the Chief Development Officer on development strategies and targeting prospects
- Develop and maintain corporate/foundation/government records
- Participate in developing program outcomes
- Serve as liaison for Combined City Campaign
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of three years successful grant writing experience
- Demonstrated record of attracting and securing major gifts from donors
- Experience in identifying, soliciting and closing gifts from corporate, foundation and government sources
- Excellent grant writing and communication skills. Understanding of the benefits of social media
- Demonstrated ability to create multi-year plans, set objectives and achieve goals
- A focus on quality improvement to identify ways in which PAL’s Development team can increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Hands-on ability to manage and work directly with donor management software (Raiser’s Edge).
- Knowledge of the Greater Philadelphia Region’s philanthropic landscape is preferred
- Successful completion of a criminal background check
- Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned
Chief Development Officer
This is an exciting opportunity to work with one of the most recognizable brands in Philadelphia, a passionate and networked board of directors, and an urgent and life-changing mission of Cops Helping Kids. The Police Athletic League of Philadelphia (PAL) is searching for an experienced, energized, and self-driven fundraising professional who understands the importance of relationships and is adept at creating and executing fundraising strategies that achieve results.
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is a critical member of the leadership team and will work in partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors. S/he will forge private sector partnerships and fundraising alliances that will enable PAL to expand its reach and services, diversify individual, corporate and foundation giving channels, and increase contributed revenue.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong track record of securing resources to fuel the attainment of a bold vision and have demonstrated success in fundraising and talent development. S/he will understand that relationships are critical to sustainable fundraising and will strike the appropriate balance between time in the office and time spent with donors and prospects. S/he bring an innovative mindset that has translated into brand growth and differentiation.
This position will have accountability for fundraising, marketing and communications, and grants management.
Key Pillars and Responsibilities
Strategic Fundraising Management
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors and strategically utilize Board relationships to increase contributed revenue.
- Develop strategies and provide leadership and direction for the Executive Director and Board Development Committee to plan, organize, direct, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive annual program of fundraising, with a focus on major gift donors and prospects.
- Prepare detailed revenue and expense budgets for each category of the annual fundraising and marketing plans. Partner with internal staff and board committees to ensure best of class utilization of digital platforms and stakeholder engagement tools.
Strategic Brand Leadership
- Lead development of annual fundraising plan, inclusive of communications and engagement strategy. Serve as staff lead for Board Communications Committee. Work with committee, Executive Director, Commanding Officer and team to bring strategy and plan to life.
- Establish marketing and creative resources that will deliver against breadth and depth of PAL’s brand and communications needs across diverse audiences.
- Manage external resources and experts to amplify internal team efforts to curate and deliver compelling messaging, content and visual representation of PAL brand to engage key audiences and tell the story.
- Lead, mentor and develop high-performing strategic leaders and team members within organization, ensuring high-level performance and engagement.
- Strong executive leadership capabilities. Build and manage managers and operate successfully across departments and functions.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 7-10 years experience in progressively responsible fundraising leadership roles.
- Proven track record managing a portfolio of major donors.
- Proven track record of building and leading team that delivers a multi-million dollar annual contributed revenue stream from diverse sources including at a minimum, foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Experience translating strategic vision into operational success, experience setting and managing performance against targets within complex and evolving operational environment.
- Creative problem-solving capabilities grounded in data to deliver results. Ability to quickly digest complex information and connect dots to determine future action.
- Exceptional relationship and partnership-builder internally and externally.
- Effective and insightful communication skills, adept at inspiring and engaging teams and partners to action.
To apply for a position at PAL, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Jobs@PhillyPal.org. Please include the position title in the subject line.
” button_url=”/volunteer” url_new_window=”off” button_text=”learn more” use_background_color=”on” background_color=”#26294a” background_layout=”dark” text_orientation=”center” header_font_size=”26″ body_font_size=”14″ use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” custom_button=”off” button_text_size=”20″ button_border_width=”2″ button_border_radius=”3″ button_letter_spacing=”0″ button_use_icon=”default” button_icon_placement=”right” button_on_hover=”on” button_border_radius_hover=”3″ button_letter_spacing_hover=”0″ module_class=”hide”]
get to know the organization and make a difference